Thursday, January 31, 2008

Some Observations on Typical Libertarians.

This weekend I met a whole new group of folks while campaigning for Ron Paul. Once more, I was severely disappointed with the caliber of person I met. One or two of the folks seemed decent. They were normal, insightful, well-informed. And they expressed their views with civility and clarity.

There were, however, several of the "typical" libertarians about. I'm defining "typical" not as the majority, but rather as the ones who stand out most in my eyes. The typical libertarian is that ubiquitous crazy. He's the one who carries around flags and yells at people in the street and protests other candidates' rallies. He's the one who gets the normal people involved in his bullshit, and he's the one who ends up making ALL libertarians look insane to the rest of the world.

The typical libertarian has intelligence. He does. What he doesn't have is any semblance of social skill. Oh, and he's a male. He's usually obnoxious to those who don't "get it." If he gets attention--for even a brief moment--from a female, he announces it to all who will hear, for this attention is novel.

Each group of libertarians has its one guy--usually the one blessed with naturally good looks--who leads the pack. The other guys in the group look up to him and envy his ease with women. They don't understand that, really, it's not that difficult.

Free Talk Live has a "shrine of female listeners," depicting those women who "validate" that they're listeners of the show. I get it, females don't usually listen. However, I've not pinpointed the exact reason for actually having this webpage. Is it so libertarian boys can get off on looking at liberty-minded women? Is it to prove that liberty-minded women exist?

As I'm writing this, I'm thinking that it might be the other way around. The typical libertarian woman seeks male attention with her intelligence and her "wit," (in quotes because the wit usually only appeals to its intended audience, and I am of the opinion that real wit is more universally accepted than that). It's not in her nature to seek male attention with her looks. Reasons for this will go unexplored in this entry; there are just too many. This, I think, is the reason that there is a shrine of female listeners: to give the typical libertarian female an outlet for flaunting herself physically. It was an untapped market (and arguably should've remained so).


This week, I was told by a guy working on the Giuliani campaign that I'd "changed his views on libertarians." I'll admit that I'm far from normal. I'm borderline insane, even. I do, however, think it's OK to conform to an extent. As long as you know that you're doing it. You acknowledge it, you accept it, and you take off with it.



Disclaimer: if you think I'm talking about you in this blog, I'm probably not. I tend not to befriend most of the "typicals."

No comments: